How do you know if the attorney you’re thinking of hiring is the right person to handle your injury claim?
You start with the consultation. The consultation helps the attorney understand your problem and determine your options. It also gives you an opportunity to see if the attorney is a good “fit” for you.
Just remember: While it’s important to make sure that you feel comfortable with your attorney, you don’t want to focus entirely on the attorney’s style or personality. You also need to focus on some practical questions, as well.
Some things you should consider asking your potential attorney:
- How long have you been in practice? You want to know your attorney’s level of experience before you decide to let them handle a particularly complex issue.
- Do you normally handle cases like these? The law has a lot of different facets, and nobody is an expert in all of them. The more experience your attorney has with your type of claim, the more they can tell you what to anticipate.
- What’s your approach to cases like these? Your attorney should be able to tell you, for example, whether they believe that it’s usually better to settle or they often litigate (or something in-between). There’s no perfect answer, but your goals should align with your attorney’s goals.
- What are your fees? How are they billed? Most personal injuries take payment on a contingency basis if you win your claim, but it’s wise to be clear on this issue.
- How can you stay in touch? Does the attorney generally return calls right away? Will you normally be working with a paralegal? You should know what to expect before you agree.
We encourage you to continue exploring our site for more information. If you think we can help with your personal injury claim, please contact us directly.