Champions For Injured Pennsylvanians

What Happens If The Person Who Hit Me Doesn’t Have Insurance?

People Are Usually Uninsured Or Underinsured For A Reason

Typically, individuals who do not carry enough liability coverage on their automobile insurance policy do not have sufficient assets that are worth pursuing in order to compensate you fully for your damages. If they had more to lose, they would have sufficient liability insurance coverage so that their assets would be protected. Additionally, the law makes it very difficult, in fact almost impossible, to pursue and collect on claims against an individual’s personal assets. Only in the rarest of circumstances is this possible. Therefore, it is unlikely that you will be able to collect anything directly from an individual who is “underinsured”.

Now What?

If the person who injured you in a car accident doesn’t have car insurance or doesn’t have enough to cover your costs, you must look to your own automobile policy for uninsured/underinsured motorists (UM/UIM) coverage. This is an optional coverage under your automobile policy that you may have elected to purchase; however, you are not required to purchase this coverage in Pennsylvania. If you purchased UM/UIM coverage on your policy, you may bring an injury claim against your own automobile policy in a situation such as this.

Our attorneys highly recommended that everyone purchase UM coverage in order to be adequately protected in such a case.

Discuss Your Options At Your Free Initial Consultation

It costs you nothing to get the information you need to decide how best to proceed after your accident. To schedule a free initial consultation with a lawyer at our Pittsburgh office, call DelVecchio & Miller, LLC, at 412-228-4541 or write to us using our email form.